Danelle McKnight, Project Leader
Extension Agent, Agriculture – Horticulture
Montgomery County Center
203 W Main St
Troy, NC 27371
Jamie Warner, Project Co-Leader
Extension Agent, Agriculture – Livestock and Forestry
Joanna Massey Lelekacs
Raleigh, NC 27695
Year 1 Project Plans and Stories
|Chatham County - School Garden|
|Gaston County - Develop a Local Foods Strategic Plan that is Supported by the Community|
|Guilford County - Community Garden|
|Lee, Moore & Richmond Counties - Partner Presentation on Local Foods and Farm Tour|
|Lenoir County - Farmers' Market Revitalization|
|Swain County - Farmers' Market Revitalization|
Year 2 Project Plans and Stories
|Cleveland County – Building Community Awareness and Involvement in the Local Food System|
|Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians – Farmers' Market|
|Forsyth County – Increasing Awareness of Community Garden/Farm|
|Forsyth County/GreenXscapes – Community/Educational Garden|
|Greene County – Farmers' Market|
|Montgomery County – Farm Tour|
Other CBFS Efforts
SARE PDP Extension & Community Partnerships
MONTGOMERY COUNTY: Project Plan
Bridge the gap between urban consumers and rural producers by providing means of awareness and education of the local product & services movement.
- Create an agricultural experience for non-ag individuals
- Promote Local
- Provide an understanding of the farms and farmers.
- Build the relationship of local farmers and consumers.
- Bridging the gap between consumers and farmers.
Key Sub Activities
Evidence of Activities, their Quality & Outcomes
I. Tour planning meetings
2. Assistance with design and evaluation
3. Coordinate with connecting Extension agents
4. Farm Tour Visitor Readiness Training5. Farm Tour
1. Promoted local food and goods.
2. Connected local growers with consumers.
3. Educated non-ag individuals in the ways of agriculture4. Fostered farmer/consumer relationships
1. 6 Agents/Staff planned and prepared
2. 8 volunteers worked tour (16 hours)
3. 5 agents/staff worked tour (30 hours)4. 12 individuals took 2 hour readiness training
Funding for this initiative provided through the USDA, Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Professional Development Program.