Check out the CEFS Apprentice Blog!
CEFS Extension & Outreach Coordinator/ Apprenticeship Coordinator
Box 7609 - NCSU
Raleigh, NC 27695
2016 Apprenticeship Program
WE WILL BEGIN ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS MID to LATE NOVEMBER. PLEASE CONTINUE TO CHECK BACK FOR APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS!
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems’ Apprenticeship Program is a hands-on work and study program that trains participants in many aspects of sustainable agriculture production.
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) Apprenticeship Program is seeking highly-motivated individuals from a variety of different backgrounds to participate in a hands-on work and study program that trains participants in many aspects of sustainable agriculture production and research.
The majority of each apprentices’ work will focus on a particular production system at CEFS. A wide array of topics to study are available, including: Organic Grain and Vegetable Production, Small Farm Production, Agroecological Production Techniques, Long-term Comparative Farming Systems, Livestock including Beef and Dairy Cattle as well as Swine Production and Agroforestry. Apprenticeship appointments are for a period of time of six to nine months and are located in Goldsboro and/or Raleigh, NC.
During that time, Apprentices will have the opportunity to:
- Immerse oneself in agricultural production and field research, spending up to forty hours a week as an integral part of a team,
- Work with a highly diverse team of educators from North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
- Interact with other Apprentices at various research units and sites;
- Weekly lecture(s) on various topics of sustainable agriculture;
- Participate in field trips to local farms;
- Prepare a written research paper, suitable for publication;
- Give an oral presentation on your research at the conclusion of the
Prior Experience Required:
- High school degree
- Applicants should be able to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Work in inclement weather
- Attention to detail
Applicants are required to apply through the North Carolina State University Jobs Website. (Applications will be posted soon!) Required information include: committing an online application, submitting a cover letter stating your interest in the Apprenticeship Program as well as a ranking of your interest in the different research programs offered, a resume’ and a letter of recommendation.
This is a rigorous and highly competitive program. Apprenticeship applications will be reviewed by a multi-agency/ multidisciplinary group of educators and several applicants will be selected for telephone interviews. Each year only four to five Apprentices will be accepted.
CEFS Apprenticeship Program Offers:
Apprentices receive a stipend of $200/ week. (All applicable payroll taxes apply). Housing is not provided. There is no meal-plan or food stipend. Apprentices must have their own transportation.