Check out the CEFS Apprentice Blog!
CEFS Extension & Outreach Coordinator/ Apprenticeship Coordinator
Box 7609 - NCSU
Raleigh, NC 27695
2016 Farming Apprenticeship Program
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) Apprenticeship Program is a hands-on work and study program that trains participants in many aspects of sustainable agriculture production. We are seeking highly-motivated individuals from a variety of different backgrounds to participate in a hands-on work and study program that trains participants in many aspects of sustainable agriculture production and research.
The majority of each apprentices’ work will focus on a particular production system at CEFS. A wide array of topics to study are available, including: Organic Grain and Vegetable Production, Small Farm Production, Agroecological Production Techniques, Long-term Comparative Farming Systems, Livestock including Beef and Dairy Cattle as well as Swine Production and Agroforestry. Apprenticeship appointments are for a period of time of six to nine months and are located in Goldsboro and/or Raleigh, NC.
During that time, Apprentices will have the opportunity to:
- Immerse oneself in agricultural production and field research, spending up to forty hours a week as an integral part of a team,
- Work with a highly diverse team of educators from North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
- Interact with other Apprentices at various research units and sites;
- Weekly lecture(s) on various topics of sustainable agriculture;
- Participate in field trips to local farms;
- Prepare a written research paper, suitable for publication;
- Give an oral presentation on your research at the conclusion of the
Prior Experience Required:
- High school degree
- Applicants should be able to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Work in inclement weather
- Attention to detail
Applicants are required to apply through the North Carolina State University Jobs Website (https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/62543) Required information include: committing an online application, submitting a cover letter stating your interest in the Apprenticeship Program as well as a ranking of your interest in the different research programs offered, a resume’ and a letter of recommendation.
Application deadline is February 5, 2016 so please get your application packets in ASAP!
*** PLEASE NOTE: YOUR PAPERWORK WILL NOT BE PROCESSED UNLESS YOU COMPLETE AN APPLICATION THROUGH THE NCSU JOBS WEBSITE, SUBMIT A RESUME, COVER LETTER AND LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION. ***
Alternatively, for letters of recommendation that will be mailed, please make sure you upload a document that states: "My letter of recommendation will be mailed directly to the Selection Committee" and please list the name of the individual writing the letter.
Letters can be sent to:
Center for Environmental Farming Systems
Attn. Lisa Forehand
Raleigh, NC 27695
This is a rigorous and highly competitive program. Apprenticeship applications will be reviewed by a multi-agency/ multidisciplinary group of educators and several applicants will be selected for telephone interviews. Each year only four to five Apprentices will be accepted.
CEFS Apprenticeship Program Offers:
Apprentices receive a stipend of $200/ week. (All applicable payroll taxes apply). Housing is not provided. There is no meal-plan or food stipend. Apprentices must have their own transportation.